Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Weekend of Baby Mama

It was indeed a Baby Mama weekend. It started with a Friday showing of the movie with fellow Baby Mama KB (who is coincidentally also pregos, carrying twins 2nd/3rd). We were both curious and exited to see Tina Fey in action and while the laughs mostly delivered and the touching story was sweet yet not too sentimental the biggest plus of the film was the chemistry between Tina Fey and Amy Poelher. I guess as I let the film sink in and all the relevant plot points settle in my psyche, I realize that it's just not in the movies that everything happens as it's supposed to.

Then, I continued with a lovely Sunday with New Baby Mama/Pappa Friends, who will be known to this blog at NBM/PF. We started with brunch in Brentwood and I can't tell you how nice it is to just talk about our respective process. I think that because we share all the same elements, we have a therapeutic exchange that, for me, is specific to this relationship. I also think that because I'm trying to not get too detailed about the heavy logistics as I relay it to friends and family that sitting across the table from someone who completely understands my story without me going through every last detail is simply healing.

It's one of those things that I don't even realize about the time together until I stop and feel my heart is lighter. I explained to NBMF that I try to "manage" my emotions surrounding the process so that I can chew off bite size pieces. Everyone who understands adoption and parenting realizes this will not work and NBMF made me realize that as much as I have focused on all the "hard" stuff, it's time to allow my mind to think of the "good" stuff.

...So we headed out shopping on Montana to super-cute baby stores. She told me about what she's got so far and I told her I was waiting...AND then something happened and when I went into the stores, I felt like an expecting mother - which was a newer feeling. I mean it's always been in my head and my heart but now it was like I was announcing it to the world :) I felt like I didn't need to worry or "manage" as it was just a matter of time...

Drum Roll Please - Presenting my first outfit purchase for Liv: peace shirt and flower jeans
(shout out to Lucky Brand kids):


So I think that this weekend, is exactly what I needed, when I needed it. I got to connect and share with great women - thank you both for making me feel like a Baby Mama!

No comments: