Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Medicine

I have tried over and over and over and over and over and over and over with no success.  LT does not take medicine well.  She also has a masterful detection system when slipped in food or drink.  She also has proved that she can make herself gag and throw up when even faced with the thought of medicine.  This has been impossible and really has taken a toll on me as I'm trying clear up several bugs of hers.

1 hour ago.  I felt on top of the world.  All seemed right because for the first time in 6 months my daughter had giardia meds in her belly.  I first tried in a milkshake and she refused.  Then I thought I'd play a game with the medicine dropper and she amazingly participated for the first time ever.  The meds went down and I felt relief.  Sigh.

Then several minutes later................................she walked towards me with a strained red face and then started to throw up.  It is not pleasant to see your little babe throw up.

Because my babe does not even take Motrin straight I've had to be very creative and have tried the following:
--the old fashion way (forcing it down)
--yogurt drinks
--espresso syrup
--chocolate milk
--grape juice
--milkshake
--milk
--gatorade
--apple/carrot juice

I'm tired, exhausted and frustrated.  Any ideas are welcome.  


6 comments:

Danni and Tommy said...

I am so sorry! I will definitely give this some thought today.
Sound VERY frustrating. You are such a good mommy- you ALREADY thought of so many ideas. Please give her a squeeze for me (and one for Judah too :)
Thinking of you.

Susan O said...

espresso syrup? Man, you are desperate. I have struggled with this, too. With S, it's inconsistent. One day, applesauce is cool, and the next day it isn't. The only thing I've tried that isn't on your list is hershey's kisses--another mom gave me this one--a hershey kiss apparently kind of coats the mouth because it's waxy. So, hershey kiss, medicine, hershey kiss. It worked for a few days at least.

yaddismo said...

Try to sing for her. It works with my baby all the time.

The wheel in the bus goes round and round.....while dripping the medicine.

It might work.

Yaddi

scooping it up said...

ask the doc if it will chemically work if you bake it into a cookie. OR, dipping a cookie into milk with the medicine?? snow cone? Um, what else, mix it in ablender with a bananga, yogurt and OJ and freeze it into a popsicle with a stick...good luck!

Jovial J said...

My little one need meds for 9 months. The thing that FINALLY worked was to clap, cheer and do a super happy dance. I didn't believe it would work, but at that point, I had exhausted all other means. The praise party worked.

Amy Rankin said...

The way to get the rather bitter giardia meds down them is to mix it with the marshmallow flavoring available at many pharmacies. It is the only thing that masks the flavor enough. Hope you have solved this problem by now...but thought I would send this along.